Wednesday, January 4, 2012

love and betrayal, medicine and ordinary miracles

Cutting for StoneUnforgettable story of love and betrayal, medicine and ordinary miracles--and two brothers whose fates are forever intertwined
Author: Abraham Verghese
Genre: Literature & Fiction,
Theme: Medical, Domestic Life, Family Saga
ISBN-13: 978-0375714368

When I started this book I said to myself, hmmm am I going to like this? Most books are familiar surroundings, situations and customs I find familiar. This book brought me to another place, rich in culture, traditions, scenery, not just the unfamiliar African community but the medical community. Never have I felt like I was right in an operating room or feel the pressure of the doctor trying to turn a baby to the correct position to move down the birth canal. The description of scenes brought me right to the center of room. I almost wanted to wash my hands J to make sure no one was contaminated.

The story of these two brothers, Marion and Shiva take you on a young boy’s journey from childhood to manhood. The struggles, the loss, the joy, the education and self-education, determination and the dancing fever made it a page turner. And it is not only the girls that have heart ache, the excitement of young love and disappointment lead to many different paths in this story.

As I read this book I came across a passage that made me sit back and say YES! As a parent this is a perfect reminder to all, see if you agree as a father explained to his children “… the key to happiness is to own your own slippers, own who you are, own how you look, own your family, own your talents you have and own the ones you don’t….Not only our actions, but also our omissions become our destiny.”

What I found in this book was LOVE & FAMILY no matter what happens a FAMILY will always be together in one way or another, whether apart for days or years.

I share this book with my friend, Mary W. I hope she has time with her two little ones. If you pick up a copy join me in a SHARE A BOOK. Pass that book to a friend.

Much love,  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...